In this article, I will tell you facts and the biography of Louis Braille and some famous Louis braille quotes.
Louis Braille Biography and Facts
THE TEACHER AND PEDAGOGUE LOUIS BRAILLE, INVENTOR OF THE BRAILLE METHOD, WAS BORN ON JANUARY 4, 1809 IN COUPVRAY, FRANCE.
There are people who seem to come to the world to change it, no matter what difficulties they have to face, it is sometimes those difficulties that mark their destiny as it seems to have happened with Louis Braille: teacher, pedagogue, inventor of the braille reading system writing and musical notation for the blind. Blind since 5 years old.
Related article: William Shakespeare quotes on love
They say that when a child loses vision at an early age, his visual memories are diluted and also lose the expressive capacity of his face, that which is gained only by imitation; this happened to little Louis, the youngest of three brothers who, after an accident in his father’s saddlery workshop, lost his right eye vision at 3 years and within the next two years, that of the left; his was a humble family that not only could not afford the attention and treatment that Louis needed to not lose sight but his cultural level was also low and probably were not aware at the time that the accident that cost his vision The right eye would eventually blind him completely.
Despite all these difficulties, Louis grew up protected and encouraged by his family, without losing a bit of his curiosity as a child; he began to learn the letters with his father, who carved them in wood so that he could recognize them with his hands and attended school as his brothers had done before, his training was basically oral because Louis could not see and, in spite of it, he highlighted in such a way in his studies that he received a scholarship with which he could study in Paris, in the National Institute for Blind Youth where he would be, after the years, a professor.
During her first years at the Braille Institute she became ill with tuberculosis and she never recovered her health, she dragged her whole life along with her blindness, to the point that she was the one who put an end to her life when she counted about 52 years, a year before his Braille system was officially recognized.
His life in the Institute, as a first student and teacher, was intense and was closely linked to music, in fact when his health worsened he stopped giving all his classes except music and presented himself as a music teacher.
Louis Braille learned to read with Hauy’s system, which consisted basically in highlighting the letters so that they could be perceived by touch.
He read many books in the Institute with this method and knew at all times that he needed to be improved; he later found out about the Barbier system-a kind of code created with points for the French army-that convinced him more than Hauy’s but maintained important shortcomings, the first of which was its complexity. What Braille did was to take the idea of points and create a code whose symbols could not have more than 6 points so that they were perceived instantly and not revealed by passing the hand over them. His system was rejected at first, especially by teachers who were not blind,
He was born into a poor family with a low cultural level, he lost his sight as a child, he became ill with tuberculosis as a young student and, despite all this, he became the excellent teacher and educator who read those who could not see.
Famous Louis Braille quotes
Here are some of the most famous quotes of Louis Braille.
1. “Braille is knowledge and knowledge is power.” Louis Braille
2. “When you have experienced the sacraments, you realize the majesty and power of religion. ” Louis Braille
3. “Yesterday was one of the best and most beautiful days of my life. I tasted the greatest pleasures. God pleased me and showed me the dazzling wonders of eternal hope. After that, will not it seem like there is nothing that could keep me tied to this world? ” “Louis Braille quotes”
4. “Live without seeing, but being yourself.” Louis Braille
5. “Access to communication in its broadest sense is access to knowledge and that is of vital importance to us (the blind).” Louis Braille
6. “We do not need pity in the same way that we do not need to be reminded that we are vulnerable. We must be treated as equals, and communication is what can bring us this. ” Louis Braille
7. “Yesterday was one of the best and most beautiful days of my life. I tasted the greatest pleasures. God pleased me and showed me the dazzling wonders of eternal hope. After that, will not it seem like there is nothing that could keep me tied to this world? ” Louis Braille
8. “When you have experienced the sacraments, you realize the majesty and power of religion. I am convinced that my mission on Earth was fulfilled. I asked God to take me from this world … “Louis Braille
I hope you enjoyed reading collection of Louis Braille Quotes.