The 70 best Francis Ford Coppola quotes
Famous quotes and thoughts of Francis Ford Coppola.
Francis Ford Coppola (Detroit, 1939) is one of the most recognized filmmakers of today. Hollywood star, behind the scenes, has had a spectacular success, accumulating 5 Oscar awards.
Screenwriter and director of El Padrino and El Padrino II has also been awarded at festivals such as Cannes for films such as La Concepcion and Apocalypse Now.
70 best quotes by Francis Ford Coppola
For many critics and experts in the seventh art, Francis Ford Coppola is one of the most incredible filmmakers of the 20th century.
In today’s article, we will know the best quotes of Francis Ford Coppola, as well as his reflections not only about cinema but about life in general.
1. An essential element of any art is a
risk. If you do not take a chance, how are you going to do something really beautiful that has not been seen before?
Art is based on that.
2. I believe that cinema and magic have always been closely associated. The first people who made films were magicians.
A way to catch and excite the viewer.
3. My talent is that I only try to try and try to try again and little by little it is something.
The visions become reality after much effort.
4. You do not have to specialize, do everything you love and then, at some point, the future will come together for you in some way.
Passion is the necessary condition for things to go well.
5. I was the kind of child who had some talents or abilities, but never went to school.
It was later when his talent could be fully developed.
6. There is nothing creative about surviving within your means.
The limits are a little further away.
7. Everything you build on a large scale or with intense passion invites chaos.
The creative flow goes hand in hand with the lack of balance.
Famous Francis Ford Coppola quotes
8. I think it’s better to be too ambitious and fail than to be unambitious and succeed in a mundane way. I have been very lucky. I failed up in my life!
Great reflection on the winning mentality.
9. One thing I’m sure of is the real pleasure of life: you do not know, it’s not having your own plane, it’s not having a mansion, the pleasure is learning something.
The greatest gain of life is constant learning, according to Ford Coppola.
10. You have to be really brave about your instincts and your ideas. Otherwise, it will simply bend and things that could have been memorable will be lost.
Another Famous Francis Ford Coppola quotes about perseverance in life.
11. Drinking wine is only part of life, like eating food.
A free interpretation of each person.
12. Always make your work personal. And, you never have to lie… There is something we know that is connected with beauty and truth. There is something old. We know that art deals with beauty and, therefore, has to do with the truth.
If you feel it as yours, it will be of superior quality.
13. When you make a movie, it’s like asking a question. When it’s over, you know the answer. In short, with all the cinema, we are only trying to learn about ourselves. I have always taken the opportunity to make a film to learn more about myself, which I am still doing.
A great vision about the seventh art and its characteristics.
14. If the movie works, nobody notices the mistakes… If the movie does not work, the only thing that people notice are mistakes.
An essential truth about things well done.
15. Although the knowledge of the structure is useful, the real creativity comes from leaps of faith in which one jumps to something illogical. But those jumps form memorable moments in movies and plays.
A curious definition about creativity.
16. The sound is your friend because the sound is much cheaper than the image, but it has the same effect on the audience; In some way, it may have more effect because it does so in a very indirect way.
On one of the aspects that usually go unnoticed… but that is essential in a good movie.
Best quotes of Francis Ford Coppola
17. Wine is much more than a drink. It’s a romance, a story, a drama, all those things that basically are a show.
A compliment to this appreciated alcoholic drink.
18. Anyone who has made movies and knows movies has a lifelong love story with experience. You never stop learning about the movie.
It is a constant learning, according to Ford Coppola.
19. I do not think there is any artist of value who does not doubt what they are doing.
There is always a kind of impostor syndrome stalking.
20. Do not work on something other than an epic level.
If it’s not worth it, do not try it.
21. Generally, the things that are your best idea or work will be attacked to the maximum.
Precisely for excelling they will raise blisters.
22. The reason why one wants to make low-budget films is because the lower the budget, the greater the ideas, the bigger the topics, the more interesting is the art.
Many creative ideas are born from the lack of budget.
23. Films are the art form most similar to the imagination of man.
The seventh art is one of the most complete and multidimensional.
24. Time is the lens through which dreams are captured.
One of those Francis Ford Coppola quotes about time that leave us thinking for hours.
25. So give yourself the opportunity to assemble the 80, 90 pages of a draft and then read it very well in a small and pleasant ceremony, where you feel comfortable, and read it and take good notes about it, what you like, what that you touched, what moved it, what is a possible way, and then the rewriting begins.
About the process of making a film script.
26. I like simplicity; I do not need luxury.
Austerity is the best traveling companion.
27. You are in a profession where absolutely everyone is telling you their opinion, which is different. That’s one of the reasons why George Lucas never led again.
Some geniuses end up deranged after criticism.
Short quotes by Francis Ford Coppola
28. You do not need the
imagination to live within your possibilities.
Another sentence that advocates austerity and common sense.
29. A director is the master of ceremonies of a circus who is inventing himself.
A great quote by Francis Ford Coppola to understand the magic of cinema.
30. There can be no art without risk. It’s like saying no to sex, and then expecting there to be children.
A good metaphor to explain the courage of the artist.
31. Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold their breath underwater: as at the beginning it is okay and you can handle it, and then it gets closer and closer to the moment when you must breathe, how urgent is the need and hunger to breathe. And then the panic begins when you begin to think that you will not be able to breathe, and finally when you take a breath and the anxiety diminishes… that is what it is to be a vampire and need blood.
Metaphor to apply to the extreme situations of life.
32. Death is what makes life an event.
Live, and then disappear.
33. Whom God wishes to destroy, he first succeeds in the world of entertainment.
Surely, Ford Coppola referred to the disorderly life of most artists.
34. The photographer and the director are where reality and fantasy meet.
Two heavy weights in the making of any film.
35. I have more of a vivid imagination than talent. I cook ideas. It’s just a feature.
A creative must possess this way of thinking.
36. The professional world was much more unpleasant than I thought. I always wanted to be able to recover the enthusiasm I had when I was doing shows at the university.
The pleiad of interests and stab wounds in the workplace is something that Ford Coppola also suffered.
37. You should love what you’re doing because, especially in a movie, eventually you’ll really start to hate it.
38. In a way, I think a movie really is a bit like a question and when you do it, it’s when you get the answer.
At the end of the filming process you may have more extensive and accurate knowledge about the existence.
39. Several images together in a certain way become something far above and beyond what any of them is individually.
The sum of the parts is more than the parts separately.
40. Some criticisms are stimulating because they make you realize how you can improve, and those are valued.
Humility before everything.
41. I think that cinematography, as it probably is everything, is a game that you have to play with all your cards, all your dice and everything you have. So, every time I make a movie, I give it everything I have. I think everyone should do it, and I think everyone should do everything they do that way.
True passion towards the craft of filmmaker.
42. The most adventurous thing I’ve done is learn to fly a helicopter in the Philippines. One night we landed on a beach and slept in it.
One of his most famous adventures.
43. We were brought up in an Italian-American home, although we do not speak Italian at home. We were very proud to be Italians, and we had Italian music, we ate Italian food.
On his tender childhood and his Italian roots.
44. I liked working in a store in the basement and inventing things and creating gadgets.
Another famous quote by Francis Ford Coppola that reviews his tastes during the early stages of his life.
45. The things you’re fired for when you’re young are the same things you get lifetime achievement awards for when you’re old.
Maybe certain attributes are valued very differently depending on the age you have.
46. If you are a person who says yes most of the time, you will find yourself in the hotel business and the restaurant business.
An affirmation that costs enough to interpret.
47. Listen, if there is one sure rule that I have learned in this business, it is that I know nothing about human nature.
Everything is a great mystery.
48. It was the dream of man and his inspiring attempt to make them come true that are still important.
Pursuing goals is essential for the development of humanity.
49. I have been offered many movies. There is always some actor that is doing a project that proposes something to you. But you look at the project and think: ‘Wow, there are many good directors who could do that.’ I would like to do something that only I can do.
In search of very personal works.
50. The sequences are not made for the public, the cinema or the filmmakers. It’s for the distributor. The film becomes a brand.
A detail that perhaps is not apperceived by the general public.
51. The majority of Italians who came to this country are very patriotic. There was the exciting possibility that if you worked really hard and loved something, you could succeed.
The American dream from the perspective of the Italian emigrants.
52. When I was around 9 years old, I had polio and people were very scared for their children, so I used to be isolated. I was paralyzed for a while, so I watched television.
From there he created his interest in the seventh art.
53. I became quite successful very young, and it was mainly because I was very excited and worked very hard on it.
The recipe for success There is no other possible way.
54. My family were symphonic musicians and in the opera. Besides, it was my time, the love of the radio. We used to listen to the radio at night, close our eyes and watch much more beautiful movies than you can photograph.
About one of the most beautiful customs of his family.
55. Stay innocent. I am 69 years old and I am still innocent.
Naivety, divine treasure.
56. Art depends on luck and talent.
Various ingredients that are totally necessary.
57. We had access to too many teams, a lot of money, and little by little we went crazy.
This happens when the productions have a budget too exorbitant.
58. I grew up as a Catholic, but I did not like the Catholic Church at all. I thought the nuns were bad.
On his relationship with the Church.
59. I had a series of very strong personalities in my family. My father was a concert flutist, the solo flute for Toscanini.
Memories of his childhood
60. I remember that in The Conversation they brought all these coats to me and they said: Do you want me to look like a detective, Humphrey Bogart? Do you want it to look like a blah, blah, blah? I did not know, and I said that the subject was “privacy” and I chose the plastic coat you could see. So knowing the subject helps you make a decision when you’re not sure which way to go.
A way to move faster
61. The essence of cinema is publishing. It is the combination of what can be extraordinary images of people during emotional moments, or images in a general sense, gathered in a kind of alchemy.
Without cuts and retouching we would not enjoy an excellent film.
62. Music is an important factor in helping the illusion of the film come to life. In the same way that music brings us different periods of our lives.
Francis Ford Coppola makes clear the need for great soundtracks.
63. If you can not experience more for fear of being considered indulgent with yourself or pretentious or whatever, everyone will stick to the rules, there will be no additional ideas.
Let your imagination flow and remove unfounded criticism from your mind.
64. I have a lot to learn from my daughter Sofia. His minimalism exposes my limitations: I am too instinctive and operatic, I put too much heart in my work, I sometimes get lost in strange things, it is my Italian heritage.
His daughter changed her perception of blow.
65. Most directors have a masterpiece for which they are known. Kurosawa has at least eight or nine.
A quote from Francis Ford Coppola in which he shows his admiration for that director.
66. It was terrible in mathematics, but I could capture science, and I used to read about the lives of scientists. I wanted to be a scientist or an inventor.
Another reflection on his childhood and his dreams.
67. I wanted to be a film student again, like a 60-year-old man. Go somewhere alone and see what you can cook, with nonexistent budgets. I did not want to be surrounded by comforts and colleagues, which you have when you are a great director. I wanted to write personal works.
His career was on course that he did not want to accept.
68. In the United States, even critics, which is a pity, tend to classify things by gender. They have a difficult time when the genres mix. They want to categorize things. That’s why I love the films of Wes Anderson and the Coen brothers, because you do not know what you’re going to get, and very often you get something you do not expect and that’s exactly what a genre is not supposed to do.
Out of every label there is art and artistic innovation.
69. I no longer depend on the film business to make a living. So, if I want to make movies since other older kids play golf, I can.
Financial freedom and its honeys.
70. That is part of the requirement for me to be an artist, is that you are trying to share your personal existence with others and trying to enlighten modern life, trying to understand life.
In the path of the film director is forged this kind of constant learning about human existence from many prisms.
We hope that you guys like these 70 best Francis Ford Coppola quotes. Tell us in the comment section which one is your favorite one.