Famous Confucius quotes. A unique oriental thinker who is, perhaps, the most prolix in phrases and short thoughts.
Kung Fu Tzu (551 – 479 BC) or “Confucius” was the most influential philosopher-political thinker in China during the Asian feudal era. Son of a noble family in decline, he fought to become a place in the ruling class of his time in the kingdom of Lu, China.
Known as Confucius in the West, this Eastern thinker formulated what would be known as Confucianism, an idea that he preached to good government. Its bases resided intolerance, respect, altruism,
The most revealing famous Confucius quotes of the Chinese thinker
In this article, we offer you the most famous and outstanding reflections and quotes of the author Confucius.
You will read in this post 1) famous Confucius quotes about gratitude 2) Confucius famous funny quotes 3) famous Confucius quotes education 4) Analects of Confucius famous quotes and much more. Enjoy
1. Learning without thinking is wasting energy
Reflection is part of the experience we acquired.
2. We have to be at peace with ourselves, otherwise we can not guide others in the search for peace
Before educating others, we must educate ourselves.
Read more: Tattoo Quotes on the Back
3. Only the most excellent sages, and the most finished fools, are incomprehensible
Curious duality posed by Confucius.
4. A man without virtue can not dwell long in adversity, nor in happiness
Excellent thought for a deep reflection.
5. A general can be removed from his army, but not a man his will
The will is more powerful than an army of men without it.
6. It is possible to get something after three hours of fighting, but surely it can be achieved with just three words impregnated with affection
The word must prevail over violence.
7. What you do not want others to do to you, do not do it to others
You have to be consistent with what you do, and consistent at the same time.
8. Learning without thinking is useless. Think without learning, dangerous
Everything is related between learning and thinking. We have to complement them.
9. A man of virtuous words is not always a virtuous man
We are what we do, not what we say we will do.
10. Ignorance is the night of the mind: but a night without moon and without stars
It is very dangerous to remain ignorant.
11. The virtuous man rests in virtue, and the wise man ambitions
Virtue seems to be a key issue for Confucius.
12. A gentleman should be ashamed if his words are better than his actions
Once again, one has to act according to what he says.
13. Hearing or reading without thinking is a useless occupation
You do not have to swallow things, you have to chew them.
14. Entristécete because you do not know men
We have to empathize in life, only in this way is harmony achieved.
15. The defects of a man always suit his type of mind
We are all limited by our thoughts.
16. He who rules by his moral excellence can be compared to the polar star
To confucius, the government must be something ethical and good to do.
17. Never make bets. If you know you have to win, you are a rogue; and if you do not know, you’re stupid
Curious phrase about the game.
18. Before starting a journey of revenge dig two tombs
Revenge is treacherous, not beneficial.
19. Observe their faults and know their virtues
All people are composed of both concepts.
20. Before the polar star, all the other stars bow before it
Before the good governor, as he refers, everyone follows him if he is virtuous.
21. I do not try to know the questions; I try to know the answers
Asking is easy, solving them is complicated.
22. Artificial language and flattering behavior rarely accompany virtue
There is nothing emptier than superficial chatter.
23. The only ones who do not change are the wise of the first order and the completely idiots
Extremes always tend to be rigid.
24. Expect yourself a lot and expect little from others
Expecting others to behave like us is wasting time.
25. If you already know what you have to do and you do not do it then you are worse off than before
You have to act if you know what you want. If not, you will not find the way.
26. Know that you know what you know and you do not know what you do not know; here is the true knowledge
Having clear objectives is paramount in this life.
27. Men are less distinguished by their natural qualities than by the culture they themselves provide
Man was born wanting to know.
28. Education makes us different and we stay away
Socialization lacks collective comrpomiso, and often classifies people as different from one another.
29. The evil is not in having faults, but in not trying to amend them
To be wrong is human, to rectify the wise.
30. The noble man has a broad mind and without prejudice
The ethical conscience was an important issue for Confucius.
31. One who does not know how to govern himself, how will he know how to govern others?
We always have to control our destiny and thoughts if we want to lead the masses.
32. The real gentleman is the one who only preaches what he practices
Once again, Confucius resorts to the coherence between action and saying.
33. You should not complain about the snow on your neighbor’s roof when it also covers the threshold of your house
Before complaining about others, we have to clean up what is ours.
34. The lower man is prejudiced and lacks a broad mind
There are always exploiters and exploited.
35. What the wise man wants, he seeks in himself; the vulgar, look for it in others
It is the difference between successful people and failed ones.
36. Wisdom worries about being slow in his speeches and diligent in his actions
Soft words, strong actions.
37. Caution is rarely wrong
Caution is a privilege for people.
38. Learn to live and you will know how to die well
There is no need to fear death if you love life.
39. However far the spirit goes, it will never go farther than the heart
Passion makes us reach unsuspected levels.
40. Silence is the only friend who never betrays
It is better to be quiet and work like an ant.
41. They told me and I forgot it; I saw and understood; I did it and I learned it
We have to learn to listen to others.
42. It is easier to seize the commander-in-chief of an army than to deprive a miser of his freedom
Freedom is what sustains the existence of people.
43. Whoever retraces the old road learns the new one, can be considered a teacher
Interesting thought for meditation.
44. Do not pretend to extinguish a fire with fire, or to remedy a flood with water
You have to know how to find the right solutions for each problem.
45. The man who has made a mistake and does not correct it commits another major error
It is not wrong to be wrong. The bad thing is to do it again.
46. Study the past if you want to forecast the future
From the past you learn to form a better future.
47. Some money avoids worries; a lot, it attracts them
Money has always been a complexity in the human being.
48. A strong voice can not compete with a clear voice, although this is a simple whisper
Not by raising our voices we have more reason.
49. Arrange for the state as it leads the family, with authority, competence and good example
For some, the government is the reflection of the people and the family.
50. If you do not know life yet, how can it be possible to know death?
The death is part of life.
51. When you see a man devoid of virtue, examine yourselves
We always see our own shortcomings in others.
52. Human nature is good and evil is essentially unnatural
Are we good people by nature?
53. If you do not respect the sacred, you have nothing to fix the behavior
The customs and traditions were essential for Confucius.
54. The superior man always thinks of virtue; the vulgar man thinks of comfort
The comfort zone is reserved for the complacent.
56. When you see a wise man, think about matching his virtues
We must copy the other virtuosos, take an example of the good ones.
57. Work on preventing crimes so as not to need punishments
Society needs education for good behavior. This avoids violence.
57. The elevated man is the one who acts before speaking, and practices what he professes
We have to act what we preach.
58. The wise man knows that he ignores
The wise man knows everything.
59. It is not weeds that choke the good seed, but the negligence of the peasant
It is up to each one to solve the problems.
60. The superior man is persistent on the true path
The superior man as the good, the ethical and kind.
61. Only the virtuous is competent to love men
We have to know how to love others in order to be an example to society. Loving oneself is easy.
62. The one who knows the truth is not equal to the one who loves her
Many know the truth but do not want to discover it.
63. Virtue does not dwell in solitude: it must have neighbors
The human being is sociable and was born to understand with others.
64. Better than the man who knows what is right is the man who loves what is just
To be moral in this life, we have to have justice present.
65. A scholar who is not serious will not inspire respect
The intellect and science require seriousness.
66. Whoever governs a town by setting a good example resembles a polar star
Confucius made this simile for the good ruler.
67. To know how to govern is to rectify
Governing is not only the art of knowing how to command.
68. There is nothing colder than a council whose application is impossible
You have to be realistic and not just an utopist.
So these are the 68 famous Confucius quotes we hope you guys like this collection. If you have any question contact us in the comment section and please share our website with your friends.