Oscar Wilde best quotes Oscar Wilde is one of the brightest minds that has stepped on our planet.
Oscar Wilde was born in Ireland in 1854 and died in France in 1900, prominent poet, writer, playwright and renowned talent that emerged at an early age. Curiously, the British author was educated at home until he was 9 years old, receiving a home-grown but cultured education from his parents.
Among his qualities, Oscar Wilde was interested in the aesthetic movement, the “art for art” and poetry. In addition, probably influenced by the philanthropic character of his father, he positioned himself politically for anarchist socialism that cost him more than one dislike with the authorities.
Best quotes of Oscar Wilde
He was an extroverted character, unique, groundbreaking and who in some moments was immersed in a scandal to break with the social norms of virility. He was accused of being a homosexual, a crime at that time.
Related article: short positive Quotes to Live By
Here we leave some of the of Oscar Wilde best quotes.
1. Experience has no ethical value, it is simply the name we give to our mistakes
In this way, the author described what experience refers to.
2. A man can be happy with any woman while he does not love her
The complexity of love is described, in Wilde’s way, in this affirmation.
3. We spend years without living at all, and suddenly our whole life is concentrated in a single moment
Sometimes happiness is measured in an instant.
4. Women have been made to be loved, not to be understood
Oscar Wilde saw in this way the relationship between a man and a woman.
5. I have long conversations with myself, and I am so intelligent that sometimes I do not understand a word of what I say
That’s how ingenious and extravagant the author was.
6. There is nothing like the love of a married woman. It’s a thing no husband has the slightest idea about
A phrase to reflect on marriage.
7. If you want to know what a woman really says, look at her, do not listen to her
The female figure was a recurrent theme for Oscar Wilde. I felt passion.
8. The least frequent in this world is to live. Most people exist
Sometimes we go so unnoticed that it seems we have no soul.
9. The only advantage of playing with fire is that one learns not to burn
The human being only learns by making mistakes.
10. Loving yourself is the beginning of an adventure that lasts a lifetime
To love others, we have to love ourselves first.
Best Top 10 Oscar Wilde quotes
11. I will not stop talking to you just because you are not listening to me. I like to listen to myself
Ingenious and exceptional he showed himself in any situation.
12. We should never get married if we intend to stay in love
This is how Wilde reflected on marriage.
13. God made a separate world for each person, and in that world we should try to live together together
Each person is a world, and we must all have empathy for one another.
14. The questions are never indiscreet, the answers are
A phrase for deep reflection.
15. A cynical man is the one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing
Cynicism is a recurring theme in many Western writers.
16. If you want to infuriate your enemy, forgive him
A peculiar way of making peace with a person non grata.
17. Children love their parents. When they grow up, they judge them
Reason or fallacy?
18. The best way to get rid of a temptation is to fall into it
We must not repress our instincts. If something we want, we consume it.
oscar wilde quotes on relationship
19. The only way for a man to behave with a woman is by making love to him
It seems that Oscar Wilde saw in the woman little more than a sexual object, unfortunately.
20. Work is the refuge of those who have nothing to do
Thus criticized the British author the labor system in which he lived.
21. The worst thing in this world is not being in the mouth of others, but not being in anyone’s mouth
Criticism is better than being ignored.
22. Man believes in the impossible, not in the improbable
It is part of the ambition that moves man to progress and development.
23. We judge others because we do not dare with ourselves
We should learn to be more self-critical and not focus so much on others.
24. Advising the poor on economics is like advising to eat less of a hungry person
Oscar Wilde was a strong advocate of socialism and the working class.
25. Society never forgives the dreamer. Yes to the criminal
The social pressure is high when we want to stand out with something different.
26. The best thing that can be done to a child is to be happy
Above education and giving everything, what a child needs is to feel good.
27. Ambition is the refuge of failure
For some, ambition is stupid.
28. Having good health is not getting up early or playing sports
Oscar Wilde always so critical of established stereotypes.
29. Men are analyzed, women are loved
Once again he affirms the constant love that women need.
30. Success is borne by the strong and failure is borne by the weak
History is always written by the victors.
31. I would do anything to be young again, except play sports
He did not like physical exercise or discipline.
32. The only thing that consoles men for the stupidities committed is the pride of carrying them out
Pride is a very dangerous weapon, which often leads us to error.
33. The less you talk about the wounds of life, the better
Positivism before everything.
34. Two rules to write: have something to say and say it
A rule that every good writer should apply.
35. Laughter is not a bad start for friendship
Oscar Wilde’s sense of humor was part of his personality and extravagance.
36. Ugly women are jealous of their husbands
Curious way to relate the physical with the marital behavior.
37. Believe is very monotonous, doubt and curiosity are exciting
Interesting contribution to explore new experiences.
39. That they speak of one is frightful. Do not talk, it’s worse
To be ignored is the worst of evils.
40. A woman capable of saying her age is able to say everything
Thus the dramatist measured the sincerity of the female sex.
41. When a man marries a second time, it is because he loved the first time
This phrase will give much to think to those who commit a second time.
42. Nothing worthwhile can be taught
This invokes us to think deeply.
43. Beauty needs no explanation, it is superior to genius
Beauty is not something that needs interpretation. Only observation.
44. People are just bored or charming. Not good or bad
The British author hated labels, especially those that carry a negative charge.
45. Young people think that money is everything, and when they grow up they see it
It is the law of life. It happens to everyone as we grow.
46. Suffering from own guilt, that is the nightmare of life
We forgive mistakes and external damages, but not ours.
47. Single people should pay more taxes. It is not fair that they are richer than others
A fun way to reflect on singleness.
48. As a bad person, I am a complete disaster
Some said that Oscar Wilde never did anything bad, or hurt anyone.
49. I choose my friends for their appearance, my acquaintances for their character and my enemies for their reason
It is very important to know why we surround ourselves with those around us.
50. We all live in the sewers, but some of us look at the stars
It is a matter of knowing how to take life with philosophy.
51. When I think about my faults, I fall asleep immediately
You never have to think about the bad, but promote the good virtues.
52. Music is the closest thing to tears and memories
Oscar Wilde was a lover of musical art.
53. Temptation is the only thing I can not contain
Again, the author invokes emotional non-containment and repression.
54. In marriage, the woman has all the letters but loses the game
You have to understand this statement for the time that Oscar Wilde lived.
55. The more conservative the ideas, the more revolutionary
The more radical one is, the more changes can be made.
56. Modern journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community
He was a great critic of journalism and his contribution to society.
57. Married men are horribly bored when they are good
As he said, getting married is a mistake for lasting love.
58. In art as in love, tenderness is what gives strength
A good metaphor to understand passion in art.
59. There is no man rich enough to buy his past
The past can be a very emotionally charged burden.
60. Getting to be natural is the most difficult of the poses
We live conditioned and dogmatized by too many standards.
We hope that you guys like this article on Oscar Wilde best quotes. If you want to add more quotes of Oscar Wilde. Please share with us in comment section.