The Greek philosopher Aristotle quotes on friendship, ethics, human existence…
Aristotle was a Greek philosopher and mathematician, one of the most important in history, who lived between 384 BC and 322 BC His ideas have inspired many for over 2000 years, and his thinking is still alive today.
The best quotes of Aristotle
During his life, Aristotle pronounced many famous phrases that have remained for the memory and for the story.
In this article you can find a compilation of some of your great quotes.
1. Intelligence consists not only in knowledge but also in the ability to apply knowledge in practice
Knowledge is important, but if we do not put it into practice we will not be able to master it.
Related articles: Anthony Bourdain quotes
2. I consider more brave the one who conquers his desires than the one who conquers his enemies, since the hardest victory is victory over oneself
Achieving what you want is not always easy, you have to fight against the world and against yourself.
3. They wish each other good in the same way
A phrase that invites the reader to free reflection.
4. There is only happiness where there is virtue and serious effort, because life is not a game
If we try hard and achieve something we want, then we will find happiness
5. A faithful friend is a soul in two bodies
Authentic friendship is a divine gift
6. One does not know what he knows until he can teach another
If we do not master something, it is impossible for us to teach it to another person.
7. It is not enough to say only the truth, but it is better to show the cause of the falsehood
Demonstrating the lie may be necessary for us to believe.
8. Hope is the dream of the awakened man
Hope motivates us to move forward. To be in movement despite the difficulties.
9. True happiness consists in doing good
If we are not honest and honest, we will hardly be happy.
best Aristotle quotes about friendship
10. Friendship is a soul that dwells in two bodies; a heart that lives in two souls.
A nice word game about friendship and love between friends.
11. The friend is another me. Without friendship man can not be happy
Friendship is one of the sources of happiness. A true friend is an extension of ourselves.
12. What is acquired with much work, more love
The effort makes us value things when we have them.
13. It is important for those who want to reach a certainty in their research, the knowledge to doubt in time
Doubt can make us reflect and grow.
14. The punishment of the deceiver is not to be believed, even when he tells the truth
An ironic phrase about liars and about their punishment.
15. The perfect friendship is that of the good and those who are similar by virtue
Another quote from Aristotle about friendship and how perfection in the relationship is based on honesty.
16. It is thought that what is just is the same, and so it is; but not for everyone, but for the equals. It is thought on the contrary that the just is the unequal, and it is so, but not for all, but for the unequal.
We decide what is good or bad by consensus, but also by interest.
17. Some believe that to be friends, it is enough to want, as if to be healthy it would be enough to want health
Friendship must be worked on, not only must you feel affection.
18. The ignorant affirm, the wise doubt and reflect
Wisdom is found in reflection and in questioning things.
19. The lonely man is a beast or a god
A quote from Aristotle that refers to loneliness.
20. The whole truth is never attained, nor is it ever totally removed from it
The truths are relative, as Aristotle says.
21. Anyone can get angry, that’s very simple. But getting angry with the right person, in the exact degree, at the right time, with the right purpose and in the right way, that certainly is not so easy
We all get angry, and expressing it incorrectly can bring us problems.
22. The friend of the whole world is not a friend
A friend is not the same as a person who is nice to everyone.
23. It is ignorance not knowing how to distinguish between what needs proof and what does not need it
There are things that do not need to be explained. An act is worth a thousand words.
24. The purpose of art is to give body to the secret essence of things, not to copy their appearance
Art is creativity, not plagiarism.
25. It is an indisputable principle that to know how to command well, it is necessary to know how to obey
When you have lived it in your own flesh, then you can do something with knowledge.
26. Wisdom is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Wisdom helps us act in difficult times.
27. The soul is that for which we live, feel and think
What we carry in the soul is our motivation, our motor to move.
28. You can not be and not be something at the same time and under the same aspect
A phrase that talks about hypocrisy.
29. Time is the measure of movement between two instants
Aristotle, reflecting on what time is.
30. Actually living as a man means choosing a target -honor, glory, wealth, culture- and pointing to it with all the conduct, because not ordering life to an end is a sign of great folly
People move by objectives and that is why we fight for them.
31. A state is governed better by a good man than by good laws
An honest agent is more than good laws.
32. In adversity virtue comes to light
It is in the difficult moments when we rediscover ourselves.
33. The story tells what happened; poetry what should happen
A beautiful reflection on what poetry is.
Famous best Aristotle quotes about life
34. Those who do well are the only ones who can aspire in life to happiness
If we do things wrong, sooner or later we will pay for it.
35. The wise man does not say everything he thinks, but always thinks everything he says
The wise people know that sometimes you have to shut up some things.
36. Love only occurs among virtuous people
Love is born within pure hearts.
37. The only truth is the reality
Everything that can not be demonstrated can be falsified.
38. Avaro is the one who does not spend what he owes, nor what he owes, nor when he must
A word game that deals with greed.
39. Man can learn nothing except by virtue of what he already knows
Aristotle, philosophizing about the learning of people.
40. You can not untie a knot without knowing how it is done
We can not solve problems without thinking how to do it.
41. As the eyes of bats are obfuscated in the light of day, in the same way the intelligence of our soul is obfuscated by the evident things
A thought that allows us to reflect deeply.
42. Learning is not a child’s game; we can not learn without pain
The best learning experiences are those that have caused us suffering.
43. You want more what has been achieved with many hardships
Although at the time it costs us, in the long run we will appreciate it.
44. Great knowledge engenders great doubts
The existential doubts are those that make us reflect deeply and, at the same time, grow.
45. The dialecticians and the sophists, in their disquisitions, dress in the appearance of philosophers
For Aristotle, Sophist is the one who uses sophism to reason.
46. There is only one driving force: the desire
Desire makes us move and move on. It is our motivation.
47. Man is, by nature, a political animal
People have political concerns since always.
48. Knowing is remembering
If we do not remember something, it is as if we did not know.
49. Tyrants surround themselves with bad men because they like to be flattered and no man of high spirit will flatter them
Only the bad guys will want to be with the bad guys.
50. Virtue is a voluntarily acquired provision, consisting of a middle term between two bad extremes, one by excess and the other by default
Aristotle, with his reflection, reminds us what virtue is
51. It is necessary that philosophy be a special knowledge, of the first principles and of the first causes
Aristotle is, without doubt, one of the most celebrated philosophers of history.
52. The one who possesses the most accurate notions about the causes of things and is capable of fully accounting for them in his teaching, is wiser than all others in any other science
There is no better expert than the one who is capable of passing knowledge to his disciples.
53. You do not need a perfect government; you need one that is practical
What the people need is for the government to function based on their needs.
54. Doubt is the principle of wisdom
Doubt moves our consciousness towards reflection and true learning.
55. Acquiring such or such habits from young people is not unimportant: it has an absolute importance
The habits we learn at an early age are difficult to change.
56. Nature never does anything without reason
Nature has a purpose, according to Aristotle.
57. The antidote for fifty enemies is a friend
A single friend is worth more than all the enemies of the world.
58. Oral teachings must accommodate the listeners’ habits
The sender must be aware of the receiver’s needs and characteristics.
59. Quality is not an act, it is a habit
Quality is what lasts over time.
60. A definition is a phrase that means the essence of a thing
Aristotle, although it sounds ironic, defining the term definition.
61. The beauty of man is not in the sonority, or in the meaning
It is not how we say it, but what we want to say.
62. Happiness is the meaning and purpose of life, the general and final goal of human existence
All people want to be happy. That is our great motivation.
63. By dint of building well, you get a good architect
With practice, we can become experts in something and improve our skills.
64. We become brave when doing brave acts
It is not words that count, but acts.
65. At its best, man is the noblest of all animals; separate from the law and justice is the worst
Human beings can be good, although not all apply honesty and goodness.
66. The best thing is to get out of life like a party, neither thirsty nor drunk
Life must be lived without haste but without pause.
67. All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion, desire
There is no destiny, but what happens is an accumulation of circumstances.
Aristotle quotes about self
68. The wise man does not expose himself unnecessarily to danger since there are few things for which he cares enough; but he is willing, in the great crisis, to give even his life, knowing that under certain circumstances it is not worth living
Wisdom is part of many of Aristotle’s reflections.
69. We acquire a particular quality by acting in a particular way
An appointment with a touch of irony that speaks of the particular way of acting.
70. There is no great genius without a mixture of madness
In madness, creativity can be born.
71. A good style must have an air of novelty and at the same time hide its art
The novelty, without doubt, is the most valued.
72. The true wisdom is in recognizing one’s own ignorance
Knowing that we are not perfect is a great step to become wise.
73. Good style must be, above all, clear
A clear style is, without a doubt, the best option.
74. Pleasure at work puts perfection at work
When we love what we do, we work much better.
75. In a democracy the poor will have more power than the rich, because there are more of them, and the will of the majority is supreme
In authentic democracy, the people rule.
76. In poverty and other misfortunes of life, true friends are a safe haven
True friends are there for good and bad.
77. Democracy is when the destitute, and not the property men, are the rulers
In a real democracy, it does not send money.
78. Great men are always of an originally melancholic nature
Melancholy is part of the human essence.
79. The goal of the wise is not to ensure pleasure, but to avoid pain
It is in pain that authentic learning is born. That is, wisdom.
80. The law is free reason of passion
The law is made with the head more than with the heart.
81. Those who know, do. Those who understand teach
Those who are experts in something have the ability to teach.
82. In all things of nature there is something wonderful
Nature, although sometimes we do not see it, is magnificent.
83. To perceive is to suffer
If we expose ourselves to the world, we may suffer. This is what makes us grow.
84. I count as braver the one who overcomes his desires than the one who overcomes his enemies
The person who really finds himself is virtuous.
85. Victory has many mothers and the defeat is an orphan
When things are going well for us, everyone loves us. When we go wrong, nobody pays attention to us.
86. He who is unable to live in society or who has no need because he has enough with himself, must be either a beast or a god
Society has the irritating habit of judging everything we do.
87. Character can almost be called the most effective means of persuasion
When we do not agree, let’s try to impose our ideas.
88. A true friend is a soul in two bodies
True friend love lives inside two souls.
89. Love is made up of a soul inhabiting two bodies
Authentic love and friendship have great significance for us.
90. The only exclusive sign of deep knowledge is the power to teach
Only if we are experts in something can we teach others.
91. Change is always sweet
This philosopher understood that the normal thing is change, modification,
92. The purpose of work is leisure
Aristotle saw work as something that is simply used to be able to live through one’s own means.
93. The secret of humor is the surprise
A reflection on the main ingredient of humor.
94. Nature never does anything in vain
The natural is the spontaneous, what it simply is.
95. Bad men are full of repentance
An appreciation of the minds of morally bad people.
Best Aristotle quotes about education
96. Ingenuity is educated insolence
An intelligent phrase about human relationships.
97. All paid jobs degrade and absorb the soul
Aristotle was a strongly moralistic philosopher, and this was embodied in his beliefs about work.
98. Philosophy can make people sick
Intellectual growth can have its risks.
99. The soul never puiensa without a mental image
This is the conception that Aristotle had of thought.
100. Who is not a good follower can not be a good leader
Aristotle believed in a learning process based on humility.